Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Inside-Baseball-Sunday

From an interview with Art Is Moving
 http://artismoving.blogspot.com/




Can you talk about your sculpture?
My work is rooted in physical and poetic understandings of nature, (and I mean nature in the sense of an inter-connected web of people, places, and things.) I place a special emphasis on the relationship of these understandings to my own emotional life. The invisible life of emotions is fascinating to me, and while I’ve used many materials over the years, wood, intensely familiar and knowable, remains the best-suited material for constructing three-dimensional objects that serve as metaphors for human stories. For me, the most prominent – and interesting – characters in these stories are unfulfilled desires, fear, and the expression of a longing for safety and comfort in all its manifestations. I make vessel or “basket” informed work – pieces I call bascauda, from Latin meaning kettle or table-vessel – and think of these as keeping places for past remembrances. I also make work I callmembrana – from Latin meaning parchment or that which covers members of the body – these works recall boats and/or shields, essentially objects that cover and protect the self. My work method involves a lot of laminated wood construction, weaving, binding, etc. I’m drawn to very low-tech assembly methods because I like the direct connection with the materials. I use machines and current technologies, but simply can’t stand the “distance” this puts between me and my work. I like to think of the layers of wood like layers of memories accumulated over time that, like memory, possess both a sense of certainty and a sense of the uncertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment